and County of San Francisco. People rely on dog
walkers to provide professional, conscientious dog
care while they are at work. In order for these services
to meet the needs of the public and provide safety and
companionship to the dogs, San Francisco Animal Care
and Control has developed a list of guidelines, which we
strongly recommend all dog walkers adhere to.
1. * Each walker must have a maximum number of
six dogs per walk.
2. Each dog must wear a current dog license and
3. Each dog must have verification of current
4. Walker must clean up feces left by dogs and
carry a container for clean up at all times.
5. Walker must have one leash present for each
dog in the group, and use leashes in on-leash areas.
6. Dogs must be transported in safe, well-ventilated
vehicles in a manner that prevents injury or
7. Dogs must be safely and properly restrained in open
vehicles to prevent injury.
8. Walkers must use only handling methods and
equipment that are humane and in compliance with
state and local law.
*SF PRODOG recommends a maximum of 8 dogs per
walk & this number is currently under review by
Animal Welfare Commission.